The Victor Harbor Harness Racing club is operated by a team of volunteers, who all have a passion for the harness racing industry. The club hosts two race meets per year, however a number of local trainers utilise the track at Morgan Park all year round in preparations for races across the state.
The original track was built at Malin Avenue at Encounter Bay and the inaugural meeting was held on January 22, 1948, with South Australian Trotting league president Mr JJ Rice cutting the ribbon to open the new raceway.
Among the eight races featured was the Inman handicap won by Princess Eileen and the Free For All Stakes won by Nevamaid whose reinsman Tom Butterworth was presented with a trophy as the temperature soared and fires raged nearby.
Well known driving celebrities such as Lance Justice, K Webster, and Jim Hurley have graced the old track and horses of the calibre of Society Guy, Peter Adios and Petite Petou ran into our memories. The old track closed with the last club meeting being held on March 2nd 1997 and the fun of the races was sadly missed.
Money from the sale of the old track, combined with monies from the sale of land within Morgan Park estate, enabled the club to make Morgan Park a fully funded and financial project. Spending up to $2 million on stabling, facilities, grounds, and the carving out of the best 1000-metre tracks in South Australia, has resulted in the building of a raceway facility equal to the best in the country tracks.
Today, the Victor Harbor Harness Racing Club hosts two meets a year, which includes the prestegious Victor Harbor Cup - held during the Easter race day event.